CAS Research & Publications
- Computer Algebra Systems in Secondary School Mathematics Education, NCTM, 2003. A decade later, this is still one of the best resources available, in my opinion.
- Shifting Assessment in a World of CAS (Oct 12, 2010)
- The Case for CAS “provide[s] an argumentative case for the use of CAS. … If teaching and learning with CAS is to be promoted, then it has to be embedded in the ‘high stakes’ assessment[s].” T3 Worldwide.
- Focus Issue on Computer Algebra, Mathematics Teacher, NCTM, Nov 2002
Textbooks & Series using or integrating CAS
- PreCalculus Transformed, Harrow & Merchant, Venture Publishing, 2009. Presumes the availability of CAS without explicitly designated CAS questions.
- Precalculus with Trigonometry, 3rd ed, Foerster, 2011, Kendall Hunt. This is a great update on a great series. CAS insights and questions are throughout the Teachers Edition with additional CAS-focused activities in the Instructors’ Resource Book.
- The CAS-Intensive Mathematics curriculum project, co-directed by Drs. Kathleen Heid & Rose Mary Zbiek and funded by the NSF. The entire curriculum is available on-line. Access to the curriculum can be requested through the link above.
- The latest editions of the UCSMP textbooks.
Free online CAS
- Wolfram-Alpha, In my opinion, this is the most amazing and user-friendly online CAS available.
- The Wolfram Alpha Demonstrations page
- Core-Plus Mathematics
CAS resources (research, blogs, etc.)
- John Hanna’s CAS pages
- Lin McMullin’s CAS pages
- Conrad Wolfram’s TED talk: “Teaching kids real math using computers”
Handheld CAS Resources:
Other interesting posts